Nov 11, 2007

today, we honour.

'Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.'- Kevyn Aucoin.

Kevyn Aucoin, make up legend and man responsible for the fame of Cindy Crawford upon doing her first Vogue cover. I watched an episode of Sex and The City recently, "The Real Me", and there he was, tall, sophisticated and telling carrie bradshaw he loved her work while doing her make up for the fashion show. It grew into an obsession. I read up about him night after night and all I can say is that this man, truly, is an amazing talent. I love his spirit when it came to pursuing dreams, his energy when it came to make-up, his love for people and his belief that beauty came from the inside. It is unfortunate that the world should lose yet another beautiful human being, someone who had so much life and spirit. From a small town boy, to a broke struggling artist in New York, and then subsequently to land a big break that opened so many doors for him, this man is now my greatest inspiration. He passed, May 7th, 2002.

'
Beauty is about perception, not about make-up. I think the beginning of all beauty is knowing and liking oneself. You can't put on make-up, or dress yourself, or do you hair with any sort of fun or joy if you're doing it from a position of correction.'- Kevyn Aucoin

I couldnt have said it better myself. That, is what vogue-this-bitch is about. To enjoy every imperfection and embrace them. I have lived long enough to know that if I continuouslly hate my body, my face, my everything, life then, would be nothing but an endless struggle of making something that is already imperfect, uglier. I want to love myself, you guys should too. Thanks Kevyn, for those wonderful words. He deserves a standing ovation, any day.

2 comments:

chrissynb said...

Nice way of looking at it......

chrissynb said...

Nice way of looking at it......